Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Top 15 Video Countdown

Okay, so not to get your hopes up...if you don't have kids, be forewarned that these are all from Sesame Street. That said, there is plenty of crowd pleasing stuff to go around even for the grown-ups. And I know, because I have seen each of these about 800 times. And to be honest, this post is less about sharing the current favorites in our house, and more about maintaining some modicum of sanity by collecting all these links in one place so that I don't have to keep doing random searches on YouTube while my tiny monster claws at the screen and screams "froggie froggie froggie!"

Enjoy!

15.) Shake Shake That Mango Tree - who doesn't like a song about mangoes?

14.)  Monster Went and Ate My Red 2 with Elvis Costello and Elmo - this pops up randomly on my daughter's radar.

13.) Deciduous with Ken Jeong - am I the only one who thinks it's weird that "deciduous" was the word of the day? With that metric, it seems "deluge" should have been the word of the day instead of "soggy" on the big flood episode this week. Just sayin'.

12.) Girl Who's Gonna Change the World - the number one video for the past few months. Ah, toddler preferences, how fickle you are - although a month is pretty much an eternity in two year old time. My favorite part is the crazy gavel dance at the end of the judge scene. I have mixed feelings about the song's message (subject of future blog post, most likely) but there's plenty of time to become cynical and "Girl Who's Gonna Slack and Settle" probably doesn't have quite the right inspirational quality to it the video's producers were aiming for.

11.) I Love My Hair - this is just edging out the Girl Who's Gonna Change the World video. Curious to see what happens next week as the two duke it out. In any event, the girl in the video? Winning!

10.) Cling with Jude Law - okay, this isn't a music video, but it does have Jude Law, which is notable since he is the first non-person of color (or maybe I should say first person of non-color? any color) in which my daughter has shown any sustained interest (see: Will.i.am, Bruno Mars, India Arie, Elmo, Cookie Monster, our Indonesian sushi chef in NJ).

9.) Don't Give Up with Bruno Mars - I'm pretty sure we have yet to finish this video, but we watch the beginning a lot because my daughter loves Bruno Mars. If you get to the end, leave a comment and let me know if anything interesting happens.

8.) What I Am with Will.i.am - this is my current favorite. I'm pretty sure my daughter watches it mostly to get my attention because I will always stop and sing it with her. Is it just me, or does it seem likely that Will.i.am got totally baked for this? Also, Bert and Ernie's hair is awesome.

7.) Hot n Cold with Katy Perry and Elmo - is this the dress that got Katy Perry in all the "hot" water with Sesame Street? I guess that my daughter did immediately point at the screen and say "boobies" but as many astute commentators noted, Elmo was totally naked and no one seems to have an issue with that.

6.) ABC Song with Tilly and The Wall - tap dancing, tutus, and mismatched socks? What toddler obsession doesn't this video have? (Okay, nose-picking and poop, but I think that's probably all for the better.)

5.) Somebody Come Play with Me - a little melancholy, but retro cool.

4.) 1, 2, 3, 4 with Feist - a previous number one, but still a big hit.

3.) The Number 20 Song - I find myself singing this all the time. Well, only the refrain. The rest of the song is too fast for my brain to process, although there is some stuff about a bike and baseball. I think. And maybe a bed.

2.) A, B, C with India Arie and Elmo - an oldie, but still a goodie. Apparently Elmo has learned a bit better pronunciation since this first aired. It sounds like he's saying "Livia" or "Lydia" instead of "India." Confusing. But catchy.

1.) African Alphabet with Kermit the Frog and Ladysmith Black Mambazo - I love this one, too. And I love the fact that my whirlwind of a girl actually wants to listen to a calm, chill song. I woke up with this running through my head today and I actually didn't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment